Sunday, July 13, 2014

The Importance of Prayer

I was about to have dinner.  I sat at the table and noticed the chair in front of me was empty. I felt lonely at that point, not only because my partner was away but because this is a sacred moment for both of us. I silently closed my eyes and imagined she was there holding my hand to bless our food and to thank those who made it possible to get it to our table.

What is prayer? What does it mean to you? But most importantly, do you pray? According to the dictionary, prayer is "a solemn request for help or expression of thanks addressed to God or an object of worship."

Most people these days don't have time for much.  Some can't even sit down to eat because their jobs are so demanding. The rat-race has taken over our humanity and we have become soulless robots.


Technology governs our lives with wireless gadgets like cellphones and tablets anywhere we go. We do not know how to unplug ourselves from the madness of civilization. We are constantly distracted in a virtual world that does not exist.

When I was growing up, I used to have many questions and often I approached my grandfather to consult with him. He would say to me; "Have you prayed about it? Because I don't know more then you do." Those words made me realize the importance of being in touch with Spirit, my divine intuition and those who have gone before us. Your mental clarity comes from meditation and prayer, a quiet mind has no room for doubts and insecurities because your thoughts will be peaceful and crystal clear.

"Grandpa, do I have to be on my knees to say a prayer?" No. Being on your knees is a form of humility and reverence, but we stand facing east to make an offering and smoke our pipes to the Bringer of All Life.  You can pray standing, walking, sitting, or anywhere you need to be. That's what he taught me.

The true purpose of prayer is for us to remember where we came from, is to unplug from our chaos and reconnect with your own roots. Prayer brings us together with loved ones, it makes miracle happen, it gives us hope, faith and strength. Prayer has different meanings for all religious traditions but we all do it for the same reason and that is to connect us with the universal mind of all things known and unknown to man.

GC

No comments:

Post a Comment